What the module does ?
In a nutshell this module allows you to Import and Export Content types,Views,CCK Fields, Permissions, Roles, Menus etc... from one drupal site to another.
Step by step instructions
- Download the module from : http://drupal.org/project/feature
- Upload, Enable it in /admin/build/modules
- After you enable the module you could see the 'Fetures' tab in 'Site Building ' menu or you can directly redirect to /admin/build/features
- Once you click on that tab or go to the admin/build/features link you might get into the features configurations page with two tabs
- Create feature
- Note : all the features that your going to create is going to be a separate module/ will export a different module.(you can get a clear picture of what I mean in the end of this chapter)
- In the 'Name' field give an appropriate name for your feature.
- Then a 'Description'
- Then the 'Version' such as 6.x-1.0, 6.x-1.0-beta1
- (This is the normal structure of a module you write in the .info file See module development )
- Leave the "URL of update XML" field for now
- In the "Edit components" dropdown list, select the component that you want to export eg: Views
- Once 'Views' is selected it will give you a list of the views that you've created in /admin/build/views
- Select the view you want to export (you can select multiple views)
- If all set, then hit the 'Download feature' button and export your view(it will download as a zipped/tar/rar file as you download a module)
- Now your done with exporting your view.
- Note 2: Hope you understood why I said 'its a module' in the previous note
- Go to the other site and make sure the 'Features' module is Installed and enabled
- Now untar the feature you downloaded and then upload it to your /sites/all/modules/ folder via FTP
- Then click the 'Features' configuration page in the 'Site Building' menu or go to admin/build/features
- Click on 'Manage'
- You'll find the feature that you uploaded in the manage page.
- Simply check the chekcbox and enable the feature.
- Hurrraaaay!!! the component you exported would be available for in your new site too
- eg: If you have exported a view and uploaded in the other site, the view would have been created in your site by enabling it, you can still check it in /admin/build/views .